The ISO 22000 family of International Standards addresses food safety management.
The consequences of unsafe food can be serious and ISO’s food safety management standards help organizations identify and control food safety hazards. As many of today’s food products repeatedly cross national boundaries, International Standards are needed to ensure the safety of the global food supply chain.
The ISO 22000 family contains a number of standards each focusing on different aspects of food safety management.
– ISO 22000:2005 contains the overall guidelines for food safety management.
– ISO/TS 22004:2005 contains guidelines for applying ISO 22000.
– ISO 22005:2007 focuses on traceability in the feed and food chain.
– ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 contains specific prerequisites for food manufacturing.
– ISO/TS 22002-3:2011 contains specific prerequisites for farming.
– ISO/TS 22003:2007 provides guidelines for audit and certification bodies.
ISO 22000:2005 sets out the requirements for a food safety management system and can be certified to. It maps out what an organization needs to do to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe. It can be used by any organization regardless of its size or position in the food chain.
The need of ISO 22000
– Denmark Standard Association submits proposal of Food Safety Management System(ISO 220000) to ISO / Technology committee of Food and organizes a working group(WG8) in 2001.
– ISO 22000 applies HACCP principle to prevent harm and hazard of food, is development to the international standard of food for secure safety of food for all cycle of the food supply chain.
– ISO 22000 regulates requirements for Food Safety Management System required to prove the ability managing hazard for food safety to secure its safety at the consuming time by one organization.
– It is related to all fields of the food supply chain without organization’s size, can apply to all organization which want to conducts the system supplying safe food continuously.
– After holding the first meeting on November 01, 2011, complete to open ISO 22000 standard through 9 meetings to April 2005, and announce it on September 01, 2005.
Overview of ISO 22000(FSMS)
– Foods are the essential factor for humans, consumers make a pressing demand safety of foods no longer interest for hazard of foods.
– Diseases related to foods have occurred continuously in the trend of changing the producing & distributing system of food and life style, mess production, mess sale, and using processed foods, and increasing the dining out & mess feeding, it exceeds enormous economical losses and social expenses.
– It is difficult to prevent food incidents and to secure safety of foods which become larger and larger with existing facilities, equipment-centered monitoring methods, and empirical cleaning methods, HACCP guideline is established that focuses to preventive action from CAC (Codex Alimentarius commission) internationally, then HACCP and ISO 22000 based on ISO 9001 in international standards is established and is announced to targets of organizations which are all stages of the food supplying chain from ISO/TC 34(Technology commission)